Friday, May 27, 2022

pulling eight arms

Testing with eight arms. It works, however the PSU I have don't have enough amperage to pull all eight at once. Currently only seven motors are able to pull the arms.

Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Connecting the arms

I am struggling with connecting all the arms in the centre. I don't trust the objects to be sturdy enough to just glue them to the tubes. I think this could work if i glued the first layer of each arm to the tube and glued the tubes to the centre object. I guess the object could just be resting inside the frame then without having to tie it up. However i feel like it doesn't really work that well. Maybe i should remove the tubes all together?

Here they are just loosely threaded on.

David suggested I solder the brass tubes together instead as it will be much stronger.

Friday, May 20, 2022


Cutting all the layers for the arms. Then glueing the spacers on to separate the layers from each other. Without the spacer the angle of the thread will be too steep, so I think there is a chance that when it is stretched the layers will group together instead of spreading out evenly.

Then cutting the brass tube into 3.6 - 4mm ish length and gluing it onto the layer. When this is done the layers can be grouped together ranging from 0 - 20.

The tube cutter adds a bevel to the edge so each layer also needs to be drilled open again. In hindsight i realized that the sanding machine would've made this much easier and quicker.

Process for the arms.

Thursday, May 19, 2022

experiment bigger brass tube

Tried with bigger brass tubes. Outer tube has some extra space around it to allow for some error. Inner tube is also slightly bigger, hopefully it won't bend as easily as the previous one. It works much better. However with the extra space around, the layers don't stay as straight as the other one. But it stretches pretty nicely. I think I should try to make the distance between each layer smaller as currently it strethes almost too much. If the layers are more compact the difference between the original object and the stretched one will be more clear.

Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Brass tube experiment

Tried to drill distortion from the pipe cutter away. It works pretty well. However when threading all the layers it does add some resistance. I am not sure if this is because the inner tube might be distorted or because it is not pulled at the right angle. The layers stay straight, but the distance between the layers is still a problem. Will try with more flexible glue.

Tuesday, May 17, 2022

knots between layers

I can't cut the brass tube correctly. There's always some distortion that either makes it impossible to slide it on to the smaller tube or it adds way too much friction for the motor to slide it easily.

This is with knots between each layer. The knots work, they just take a lot of time and they also remove a lot of the elasticity of the thread.